Farro and Orange Salad
A salad chock full of zesty oranges, crunchy celery and almonds brightened with a sweet tangy dressing. So easy to make ahead for a party.
For the farro:
- 2 cups farro I use Trader Joe's 10 Minute Farro
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ tsp salt
For the dressing:
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 T white vinegar
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 T mandarin orange juice drained from the can
For the salad
- 2 cans mandarin oranges 11 oz each, keep the liquid from one can
- ¾ cup diced celery 3 stalks washed and trimmed
- ½ cup chopped green onions approx 7 green onions, washed and trimmed
- 1 cup fresh parsley minced
- ½ cup sliced almonds toasted, if available
Cook farro according to package directions. Drain and set aside to cool completely.
In a glass measuring cup or mason jar, combine dressing ingredients and shake to blend completely.
In a wide serving dish, add cooled farro and top with the remaining ingredients except reserve some of the oranges, almonds and parsley to use as a garnish on top.
Toss with dressing. Garnish with additional toppings.
- For those with nut allergies, leave the nuts out and serve them on the side for guests to choose to add them if desired.
- Trader Joe's has unsalted, toasted sliced almonds that work beautifully in this recipe.
- Make ahead option:
- Can be made 1 day ahead.
- Toss everything together ahead of time and reserve ¼-1/2 cup of dressing to toss with right before serving.