Marinated Carrot Salad
A marinated carrot salad that makes the perfect party dish, summer barbecue recipes or holiday side.
- 3 lbs carrots peeled and sliced thin (see notes)
- 1 medium onion sliced into thin rings
- 1 small green pepper slivered (see note)
- 10 oz. tomato sauce 1 tablespoon set aside in a small bowl
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 ½ tsp celery salt
- ½ cup canola oil can use avocado or olive
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard can use Dijon
- ½ cup sugar (can use less - like ⅓)
- 1 tsp salt
Bring a 4 qt. saucepan of water to boil and cook carrot until softened approximately 8 minutes. Don't let them get too soft. You want a little crunch.
In a mixing bowl, first mix the 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce with the 2 teaspoons of cornstarch to make a slurry.
Add the remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl and stir to combine.
Drain carrots and toss with the marinade in the mixing bowl or large ziploc bag.
Cover the bowl tightly or seal up the mixing bag removing all the air.
Refrigerate a minimun of 4 hours or overnight.
- Feel free to use a variety of colored carrots.
- This carrot salad will last in the fridge in a sealed bag or container for a couple of weeks.
- You can change up the pepper (i.e. red or yellow for the green)
- Add some sliced jalapenos for a spicier version.