Italian Arugula Salad
An easy fresh salad that pairs with chicken, fish, pizza and pasta
- 3 cups arugula freshly washed; prepackaged perfectly fine
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil equal to 4 big back and forth drizzles (count to 8)
- 1 lemon zested and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese plus some shards for topping
- 1 Tablespoon pine nuts optional
Wash and dry arugula either by rinsing and spinning in a salad spinner. Or wash leaves in a sink of cold water agitating slightly to remove sand or dirt. Remove the greens from the sink to a double layer of paper towel. Cover with more paper towels, patting until the excess water is removed.
Remove greens to a wide shallow salad bowl.
If using an olive oil bottle with an attached pourer/stopper, drizzle the olive oil in a back and forth motion across the bowl counting to 8 with each pass.
Conversely, use a tablespoon to drizzle the oil across the salad in a light stream counting the same way as above.
Squeeze the lemon juice quarters across the salad. Sprinkle with the zest.
Season with salt and pepper.
Top with parmesan cheese shards and grated parmesan [see notes].
- Adjust proportions for larger quantities
- Serve with grilled chicken, fish or over pizza.
- To make shards of parmesan, use a vegetable peeler and run it across the long edge of the wedge.