Inspired by a Chicago-style sausage and pepper sandwich eaten during Lent, this creamy Italian sausage pasta with peppers is made on the stove top and is perfect for the summer months when turning the oven on sounds miserable. An easy weeknight meal that can be prepared in under 30 minutes!
Living in Chicago, you see a lot of Italian sausage and peppers on menus, especially ones found at your local Italian beef sandwich shop! In this recipe, the classic sausage pepper sammich is turned into an easy pasta sauce the whole family will love. Best of all? You can make this Italian sausage pasta with peppers in under 30 minutes!
Who doesn't love a homemade 30 minute dinner meal?!
The 30 minute recipe that's a whole meal
There are so many reasons to love sausage and peppers pasta. It's:
- A whole meal in one recipe. Other than cooking the pasta in a separate pan, you don't have to make a lot of side dishes (translated: less dishes to do!)
- Hearty and satisfying. This is a stick-to-your-ribs dinner recipe, perfect for those nights when life is busy and everyone is running in different directions.
- Did I mention it only takes 30 minutes? 😊
Here are the key ingredients for this sausage and peppers pasta recipe:
Step-by step: Italian sausage and pepper pasta
This is how easy it is:
Chef's kiss tips for sausage pasta success
- Always simmer your sauces on low to help develop the flavor.
- Season with kosher salt as you cook not right at the end.
- Undercook pasta about two minutes less than the package says as the pasta will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Reserve a ladle or two of pasta water to add to the sauce at the end if the sauce ends up too thick.
Like sausage and peppers pasta? Try these hearty pasta recipes!
Make Ahead and Storage
To make ahead, make the sauce ahead of time and refrigerate up to two days until ready to serve. Cook some pasta and reserve pasta water. Gently heat the sausage and peppers sauce in a large skillet over medium-low heat and add in reserved pasta water to thin as needed.
Store in an airtight, refrigerated container for up to 4 days. I don't suggest you freeze it.
Serve with fresh parmesan cheese sprinkled over along with some fresh parsley.
Made this recipe?
I'd love it if you'd share your review and leave a star rating and comment!
30 Minute Italian Sausage Pasta with Peppers
- ½ lb ground Italian sausage, mild or spicy
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, rib removed, seeded and chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ lb bow tie pasta, cooked about 2 minutes less than package states; reserve ½ cup pasta water
- ½ cup Half and half
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste, I use triple concentrated tomato paste from a tube; see tip below
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Fresh parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the Italian sausage until browned about 8 minutes. Remove to paper towel lined plate to drain and set aside.½ lb ground Italian sausage
- To the pan, add 1 T of olive oil and saute the onion and red pepper in the seasoning and herbs until translucent over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.1 T olive oil, ½ onion, 1 red pepper, ½ teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 Tablespoon tomato paste, 3 garlic cloves
- Pour in the white wine and cook for 2 minutes until the vegetables have almost absorbed all the wine. Pour in 1 cup chicken broth and the half and half and simmer until thickened.½ cup white wine, ½ cup Half and half, 1 cup chicken broth
- Stir in the cooked pasta and toss until it absorbs the sauce. Cook for a minute or so. Add the butter.½ lb bow tie pasta, 1 Tablespoon butter
- Sprinkle over fresh parsley and parmesan cheese.Fresh parmesan cheese, Fresh parsley