Maybe I should call it Italian-American Dressing because in our house ranch dressing is about as American as you can get. And the kids love pairing ranch with pizza. Which got me thinking—why not blend the two by pairing Italian ingredients with ranch seasoning? I present you with Mascarpone Ranch Dressing. Now bring on the pizza.
In my house, ranch dressing reigns supreme. I'm talking about the good stuff hidden in a valley that comes in a bottle. I have tried many times to serve up homemade ranch dressing and received turned-up noses or a polite, "it's ok." Yup, things can be that brutal when everyone who lives with you thinks they're a food critic. So, I've been on a mission to create a homemade ranch dressing mix and recipe that gets a major thumbs up. And it appears (according to my resident peanut gallery) that I just might have done it.
A Better Ranch Dressing
Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I had to put an Italian spin on ranch dressing and for me it wasn't just about the spices, but about the base. Ranch dressing typically calls on buttermilk and mayo which give the dressing that creamy mouthfeel and characteristic tang.
Instead of buttermilk, I brought in mascarpone, an Italian cheese made from sweet cream. Mascarpone gives the dressing the necessary creaminess and has the pop of tang while not being too heavy making it a great base for the spice blend. Plus I like saying it.
Join me, won't you? MARS-CA-PŌ-NAY!
Secrets to the best homemade ranch dressing
- A granulated garlic powder works great so that the ranch lasts a bit in the fridge (you could use fresh minced garlic if you plan to serve the dressing within a couple of days.
- A blend of oregano, dill, mustard powder, onion powder.
- Milk for body.
- Mayo for texture
- Mascarpone cheese for sweet, rich flavor.
Head over to my Salad Bar party page for some more Italian salad dressings and serving ideas that'll make hosting a salad bar a blast!
MASCARPONE RANCH DRESSING PARTNERS
Looking for some ideas to serve with your Mascarpone Ranch Dressing? Any of these will be a big hit!
Mascarpone Ranch Dressing
- Hand mixer (optional)
- ½ cup milk, + a little extra if needed
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon dill weed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, EACH
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese, I use Trader Joe's
- 1 T mayonnaise, optional
- Pour milk into a blender (or a medium bowl if using a hand-mixer).
- Add all spices.
- Blend on low to mix spices and milk together.
- Add mascarpone to blender and blend on low to incorporate.
- Add additional milk if needed. Taste and correct for seasoning. Add mayonnaise for a less herby flavor if needed.
- Stir, if needed, before serving. Store in sealed mason jar or container for up to 5-7 days.
- An Ergo Spout makes a great tool to serve the dressing. Put it right on top of your favorite regular mouth mason jar and you're good to go!
Phyllis Jessup says
Amazing dressing! Grandkids love it!
Lori Murphy says
Thank you Phyllis! So happy you all enjoyed it! Glad the kiddos especially loved it!❤️
This might possibly be the best ranch recipe I’ve ever seen. Making this for the rest of my life!
I must say - it's a good one! Thanks Abbey!