If you are a fan of tangy salad dressings, you're going to love this lemon balsamic dressing. With big zesty flavor, thanks to shallots and garlic, this dressing is so good drizzled over a roasted veggie panzanella salad or to amp up simple greens.
Balsamic salad dressings are some of my favorites. I've been making them from scratch literally forever. Well—since I've been making salads as a newlywed some 35 years ago. Yup—that long. And this lemon balsamic dressing ranks near the top.
It's got it all... a fresh tang thanks to the lemon, a bit of sweetness from white balsamic. It's understated in the best way and I really think you ought to add it to your favorite salad dressings recipe file.
⇢ Other easy Italian recipes like this you'll ♥️: aldsgknalkngn, alskdgnangldns, and alkndladnnd. Or give my akdldfjkdjkd a try along with these amazing aldsklasdkjldjk...so good!
The best lemon balsamic dressing
To call something the best is a bold statement. But making really good salad dressings is kind of a superpower of mine. The right balance of oil and vinegar matters and the seasonings have to support, not take over.
Here's why this easy lemon balsamic salad dressing works:
- Fast. You can shake up this lemon vinaigrette dressing in under 5 minutes. Including the time it takes to chop and prep the garlic and shallots.
- Light. This isn't a heavy dressing. It's has a light consistency.
- Lasting. A little lemon dressing goes a long way over a salad. You don't need a lot of it. And it lasts a long time in the fridge too.
p.s. Want more salad dressing know-how? I've got a tutorial on how to make salad dressing from scratch that'll tell you all you need to know.
I love simple grocery lists...especially one like this you probably already have most everything!
- Lemon. Make sure to compare lemons in the store. You want a heavy one with not too thick of skin. Those are the juiciest!
- White balsamic vinaigrette. Ok—this one you might have to buy but maybe you already did because you're obsessed with my white balsamic dressing recipe? It's lighter in intensity when compared with traditional balsamic vinegar.
- Shallot. They're slightly variegated, purple and look like elongated mini-onions. And they're so sweet!
- Really good olive oil. One of my favorites is Olio Santo from California or any 100% Italian olive oils.
How to make lemon balsamic vinaigrette
Made this recipe?
I'd love it if you'd share your review and leave a star rating and comment!
Lemon Balsamic Dressing
- Mince the shallots and onion very finely and add to vinegar and lemon juice in a measuring cup or bowl.⅓ cup white balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons chopped shallots, 1 teaspoon chopped garlic, 1 lemon juiced and zested
- Whisk in mustard, olive oil and seasoning until blended. Or add to glass jar with a lid and carefully shake until blended. Taste and correct seasoning as needed.⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon black ground pepper
- The dressing can be made a few days ahead and refrigerated until ready to use.
More lemon balsamic dressing tips
To me, making homemade salad dressing is one of the easiest and most creative things to do in the kitchen. BONUS? They don't take up a lot of space in the fridge like the half-used bottles of salad dressing from the store.
Other tips for making homemade dressing:
Experiment and substitute with your favorite ingredients.
- Add in some honey, agave or maple syrup to make a thicker, sweet lemon balsamic dressing.
- Sprinkle in herbs like oregano or thyme for Italian or French flavors.
- Roast a head of garlic and squeeze in the cloves for nutty garlic flavor.
- Swap olive oil for another oil like avocado, grapeseed or safflower.